I'm a programmer
I've done Freelance development and worked in everything from big corporate software factory, startups, consultancy, NGO's and more. You can see some of my code in my GitHub profile.
Tools & Free Software
I am a GNU/Linux user and free software advocate. You too can help Free Software by joining the Free Software Foundation. I use Mozilla Firefox as my web browser and Emacs is my text editor of choice.
The top programming languages on the GitHub projects I've worked on are:
- Ruby : 25
- PHP : 6
- CSS : 5
- Shell : 3
- Emacs Lisp : 2
- HTML : 2
- Perl : 1
- Objective-C : 1
RubyGems I've built
|thegamesdb||Ruby Client for TheGamesDB API (thegamesdb.net). See README.md for usage|
|howlong||A simple gem which allows you to see how long a process has been running on your system in a friendly way|
|ci_uy||A gem to validate Uruguayan Identity Documents (Cedula de Identidad Uruguaya)|
|excelsioroo||A gem to export spreadsheet files data into JSON|
|gibil||Show a notification of your computer's temperature. It can be programmed as a cronjob, so you can be notified when the temperature is high.|
|ricojson||Uses Ruby's JSON to parse and format json files, includes an option to open them in the system's default application.|
|volumerb||Gem to manage the computer's volume|
I think taking advantage of Open Data is one of the ways we, as programmers, can make the world a better place. I have worked on some Open Data projects and events. I'm a part of http://datauy.org and I sometimes work with them. Here are some projects I've worked on:
- Montevideo Bicis Website with open data information related to cycling in the city of Montevideo. Website | Github
- AtuServicio.uy An app I worked on with DATA which uses open data from the Public Health Ministry to help users compare health companies and decide which one is best for them. Website | Project on GitHub
- MNAV API - API for the MNAV Museum Open Data - An API that uses Open Data from Museo Nacional de Artes Visuales and provides this information in JSON and XML. Website | Project on GitHub | Frontend example app
- Ombudsman - Open data platform to report issues in your city such as broken lights, puddles, etc. Built during the Desarrollando América Latina 2013 hackathon. Initial project | API | Twitter worker
- Moñita Azul - Open Data project for the Desarrollando América Latina 2012 hackathon. Website | Project on GitHub
Some other projects I've created:
- Emacs.sexy - Website to promote Emacs.
- Super Simple Time Tracker - A Time Tracker to use in your web browser or as a web app. No log in or register required. Source code | App on Mozilla Marketplace.
- Instant 'Oh, The Humanity' - A website/web app I did just for fun. Source Code | App on Mozilla Marketplace
I have used WordPress for quite some time, built many websites with it and developed some plugins. My profile on the WordPress.org community is fernandobt. I used to contribute on WordPress Answers too.
Plugins I developed:
|List categories||Active Installs: 2,000+|
|List category posts||Active Installs: 100,000+|
|RubyConf Uruguay Ribbon||Active Installs: Less than 10|
|StackOverflow.com Reputation Widget||Active Installs: Less than 10|
|UserAgent-Spy||Active Installs: 30+|
I love conferences
Soon... In the meantime, have you tried the Konami Code?