I'm a software developer currently working at Cultivate. I've worked in several environments: big corporate software factory, startup, consultancy, NGO, freelancing and more. You can see some of my code in my GitHub profile. If you're looking for my CV, check out my professional experience on LinkedIn or StackOverflow Careers. The following content shows some of the stuff I've worked on
RubyGems I've written
|ci_uy||Downloads: 13696||A gem to validate Uruguayan Identity Documents (Cedula de Identidad Uruguaya)|
|administrate-field-paperclip||Downloads: 10365||Integrates Paperclip as a field for Administrate in Rails apps|
|gibil||Downloads: 4755||Show a notification of your computer's temperature. It can be programmed as a cronjob, so you can be notified when the temperature is high.|
|ricojson||Downloads: 2883||Uses Ruby's JSON to parse and format json files, includes an option to open them in the system's default application.|
|volumerb||Downloads: 2756||Gem to manage the computer's volume|
|thegamesdb||Downloads: 2678||Ruby Client for TheGamesDB API (thegamesdb.net). See README.md for usage|
|excelsioroo||Downloads: 2279||A gem to export spreadsheet files data into JSON|
|howlong||Downloads: 1407||A simple gem which allows you to see how long a process has been running on your system in a friendly way|
Open Data Projects
I think taking advantage of Open Data is one of the ways we, as programmers, can make the world a better place. I have worked on some Open Data projects and events and I'm a member of DATA: an Open Data, transparency and information access NGO. Here are some projects I've worked on:
Personal project, website with open data information related to cycling in the city of Montevideo
An app I worked on with DATA which uses open data from the Public Health Ministry to help users compare health companies and decide which one is best for them
MNAV API - API for the MNAV Museum Open Data
Personal project, an API that uses Open Data from Museo Nacional de Artes Visuales and provides this information in JSON and XML.
Open data platform to report issues in your city such as broken lights, puddles, etc. Built during the Desarrollando América Latina 2013 hackathon.
Open Data project for the Desarrollando América Latina 2012 hackathon.
I have used WordPress for quite some time, built many websites with it and developed some plugins. My profile on the WordPress.org community is fernandobt. I used to contribute on WordPress Answers too.
Plugins I developed:
|List categories||88/100||22777||Active Installs: 5,000+|
|List category posts||94/100||2266294||Active Installs: 100,000+|
|StackOverflow.com Reputation Widget||0/100||1228||Active Installs: Less than 10|
|UserAgent-Spy||0/100||4587||Active Installs: 10+|
Some other projects I've created:
- Emacs.sexy - Website to promote Emacs.
- Super Simple Time Tracker - A Time Tracker to use in your web browser or as a web app. No log in or register required. Source code.
- Instant 'Oh, The Humanity' - A website/web app I did just for fun. Source Code
- Navegar (casi) en soledad Article about internet privacy.
- La ética hacker - article about hacker ethics.
I've also written some technical posts in English in the Cultivate blog:
- Open sourcing our shared configuration for remote pairing: We open sourced our shared configuration for tmux, Spacemacs and other tools we use daily for development.
- Building and configuring a Phoenix app with Umbrella for releasing with Docker: A tutorial to understand how Phoenix, Umbrella, Distillery and Docker fit together.
- Spacemacs shared configuration - custom private layers: How we use a shared configuration file for Spacemacs and managed to add personal configurations on each machine too.
- Getting started with Docker - images and containers: A quick guide to get you up and running with Docker.
- Using HTTPS with Elixir on Cowboy: How to serve https from a simple Elixir app running locally with Cowboy in development mode
- Euruko 2017 - Budapest, Hungary: My experience at the Annual European Ruby Conference in Budapest.
I like going to conferences and I've done some talks about Ruby, Open Data, work, programming and other subjects in meetups and some conferences. I also worked in the organization of RubyConf Uruguay and several Ruby Meetups in Montevideo as well as other related events.
You can find some of my slides on SpeakerDeck. Some of the conferences I remember having been to:
- 2018 - Elixir Conf EU 2018 - 16-17 April 2018, Training 18 April 2018 - Warsaw, Poland
- 2018 - Bath Ruby Conference 2018 - 22nd-23rd March 2018 - Bath, England
- 2017 - EuRuKo 2017 - Budapest, Hungary, 29th and 30th of September
- 2015 - JSConfUY 2015, Uruguay, Montevideo, 24th–25th April 2015
- 2015 - 3rd International Open Data Conference 2015, Canada, Ottawa, 28th–29th May 2015
- 2014 - Scottish Ruby Conference 2014, Scotland, 12th–13th May 2014
- 2014 - ScotlandJS 2014,Scotland, City of Edinburgh, 9th–10th May 2014
- 2014 - RubyConf Uruguay, Montevideo, Montevideo, 23rd–24th May 2014, gave a talk.
- 2014 - RubyConf Argentina 2014, Buenos Aires, Argentina. 24th–25th October 2014
- 2014 - JSConfUY 2014, Uruguay, Montevideo, 14th–15th March 2014, spoke
- 2013 - tech MeetupUY 2013, Uruguay, Montevideo, 23rd November 2013
- 2013 - Scottish Ruby Conference 2013, Scotland, Crieff, 12th–13th May 2013
- 2013 - ScotlandJS 2013, Scotland, Edinburgh, 9th–10th May 2013
- 2013 - RubyConf Uruguay 2013, Uruguay, Montevideo, 22nd–23rd March 2013
- 2013 - RubyConf Argentina 2013, Argentina, Buenos Aires, 27th–28th November 2013
- 2013 - Conferencia Sobre Datos Abiertos en América Latina y el Caribe, Uruguay, Montevideo, 26th–27th June 2013
- 2012 - RubyConf Argentina 2012, Argentina, Buenos Aires, 19th–20th October 2012
- 2012 - PyConUy 2012, Uruguay Uruguay, Montevideo, 10th–11th November 2012
- 2012 - Mozilla MDN Hack Day in Montevideo, Uruguay, Montevideo, 24th April 2012 - gave a talk
- 2012 - BrazilJS, Brazil, Porto Alegre, 30th–31st August 2012
- 2011 - Rubyconf Uruguay
- 2010 - Rubyconf Uruguay
- 2007 - JavaUy 2007, Uruguay, Montevideo, 11th-12th October, 2007