Programmer - Available for work!
I've done Freelance development and worked in everything from big corporate software factory, startups, consultancy, NGO's and more. I'm generally available for freelance or part-time work. You can contact me at
Tools & Free Software
I am a GNU/Linux user and free software advocate. You too can help Free Software by joining the Free Software Foundation. I use Mozilla Firefox as my web browser and Emacs is my text editor of choice.
The top programming languages on the GitHub projects I've worked on are:
- Ruby : 25
- PHP : 6
- CSS : 5
- Shell : 3
- Emacs Lisp : 2
- HTML : 2
- Perl : 1
- Objective-C : 1
RubyGems I've built
|thegamesdb||Downloads: 1003||Ruby Client for TheGamesDB API (thegamesdb.net). See README.md for usage|
|howlong||Downloads: 965||A simple gem which allows you to see how long a process has been running on your system in a friendly way|
|ci_uy||Downloads: 10143||A gem to validate Uruguayan Identity Documents (Cedula de Identidad Uruguaya)|
|excelsioroo||Downloads: 1814||A gem to export spreadsheet files data into JSON|
|gibil||Downloads: 3322||Show a notification of your computer's temperature. It can be programmed as a cronjob, so you can be notified when the temperature is high.|
|ricojson||Downloads: 2003||Uses Ruby's JSON to parse and format json files, includes an option to open them in the system's default application.|
|volumerb||Downloads: 1962||Gem to manage the computer's volume|
I think taking advantage of Open Data is one of the ways we, as programmers, can make the world a better place. I have worked on some Open Data projects and events. I'm a part of http://datauy.org and I sometimes work with them. Here are some projects I've worked on:
- Montevideo Bicis Website with open data information related to cycling in the city of Montevideo. Website | Github
- AtuServicio.uy An app I worked on with DATA which uses open data from the Public Health Ministry to help users compare health companies and decide which one is best for them. Website | Project on GitHub
- MNAV API - API for the MNAV Museum Open Data - An API that uses Open Data from Museo Nacional de Artes Visuales and provides this information in JSON and XML. Website | Project on GitHub | Frontend example app
- Ombudsman - Open data platform to report issues in your city such as broken lights, puddles, etc. Built during the Desarrollando América Latina 2013 hackathon. Initial project | API | Twitter worker
- Moñita Azul - Open Data project for the Desarrollando América Latina 2012 hackathon. Website | Project on GitHub
Some other projects I've created:
- Emacs.sexy - Website to promote Emacs.
- Super Simple Time Tracker - A Time Tracker to use in your web browser or as a web app. No log in or register required. Source code | App on Mozilla Marketplace.
- Instant 'Oh, The Humanity' - A website/web app I did just for fun. Source Code | App on Mozilla Marketplace
I have used WordPress for quite some time, built many websites with it and developed some plugins. My profile on the WordPress.org community is fernandobt. I used to contribute on WordPress Answers too.
Plugins I developed:
|List categories||Active Installs: 3,000+|
|List category posts||Active Installs: 100,000+|
|RubyConf Uruguay Ribbon||Active Installs: Less than 10|
|StackOverflow.com Reputation Widget||Active Installs: Less than 10|
|UserAgent-Spy||Active Installs: 20+|
I love conferences
Soon... In the meantime, have you tried the Konami Code?